Tuesday, January 8, 2008

She's so Fake

I’ve been off of here for a while (again), holidays, business travel and man drama take up a lot of time!

With total and complete trust and permission I wanted to post part of a recent email exchange I had with a girlfriend of mine in South Carolina, who is also trying to find a tiny piece of happiness via the internet dating highway. She put up a bit of a ‘sting’ operation to catch her then current (now past) suitor in what one might call typical 'player games and nonsense.' She had suspected that although he was talking exclusivity with her, he was still trolling for other women while telling her she was his #1.

Read on for the details. All I can say is this took some cajones. I don’t know that I could do it.

As for me and Mr. Miami, we're officially done. I made a couple of comments about him still being on the site (especially since he's the one who was talking exclusive), and he said the predictable met-him-online bullsnit – “why are you spying on me? you should trust me.if you see me on there, you must be on there too.” Finally, I got quiet on it, and I figured I'd let things work themselves out…...in the form of me creating a fake account with a fake picture and having him hit on me.

We (I mean the fake me and Mr. Miami) had a long chat session wherein he told me that he had recently met a person (presumably me, but I don't doubt there were others) but there was no chemistry. The fake me was divorced (as he is), and he kept saying that we understood each other because we were both seeking our second chance at love. Then - he asked for my (the fake me) phone number in the first friggin' chat session. This - after he and I (the real me) had emailed for days before exchanging digits. I (the fake me) just said a very reserved - I prefer to take things slower and left it at that.

Oh - and get this - he was texting me (the real me) as he was chatting (IM-ing)to me (the fake me). He had asked (real) me earlier in the day if I would fly to MIA to see him, and I told him I had to check on a few things. So in his text, he asked me if I had bought my ticket, and I said I hadn't. He just left it at that. The next day, he called me and told me that I wasn't as committed as he was...to which I said, oh, really? And he said I was immature, to which I said, is that so? And he said, yes, and I can't do this anymore, to which I said, ok, cool. What an effin' prick! I was disappointed, but I can't say I'm surprised. Something in the milk wasn't clean from the very beginning.


God! This is so sad in so many ways! What if she hadn't set up the ruse? I'm sure she would've found him out sooner rather than later; she's a smart cookie, afterall. But there he goes, perpetuating the sterotype.

It reminds me of a recent email I sent back to her detailing my recent man drama and how I gave a guy props because he actually called me back to tell me he didn’t think he could continue on the current course we were taking. I gave him props because 98% of the men that I’ve had the opportunity/misfortune to meet on-line would have just disappeared – and some did – rather than call me to communicate such a thing. Yet, it is with a furrowed brow and incredulous look in my eye, that I ask you “Must I give him props for doing the right thing??”

Man-o-man, this is a sad state of affairs (no pun intended).

No comments: